KiMax BS-U35WF - using Windows Only

Hi,
I am interested in the KiMax BS-U35WF I saw the video and the review. Not much explained on how to work with the Hard drive once installed.
I am looking to getting a 3TB Drive that was already formatted under windows OS and put it inside. Would it work right away?
I remember you have mentioned that the FORMATTING is the downside of the product and I was wondering… Should it be ONLY EXT4 Linux drive or also WINDOWS?

I want it to be a drive that everyone can share - not me and my Smartphone and Tablet. Most are Windows machines.
Please assist with explaining if I can do that.

What are MORE uses that the KiMax BS-U35WF can Have?
What is the latest version of KiMax for android? I could not find it anywhere on Google Play Store.

Thanks

Hey this is what I would recommend so if you don’t like it you don’t have to do it. Linux has this cool file shareing feature called Samba. Samba file shareing allows Windows and Mac OSX computers to have a NAS device over a network. There are even clients for mobile devices. So if you want to move a file from Smartphone A running IOS to Computer B running Windows just upload it to that NAS using that WiFi then go to that computer and drag that file from the “Shared network drive” to your desired folder. There are numerous other features of Samba and tutorials on how to use it are online. If you need any help setting it up just ask.

ext4 is the drive format that kimax will read which allows for large file blocks… ntfs did not work when i tried it many times… and fat32 just wont support any files larger then 4gb at a time… according the many comments there are plenty of tools you can use to format a harddrive to ext4. (https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/) but it will share throughout the network regardless of any machine. is uses samba so basiclly it will work for windows / mac / linux.

kicloud android apk
http://www1.kimax.net.cn/KICloud_last.apk
kidisk android apk
http://www1.kimax.net.cn/KIDisk_last.apk

Thanks.Regarding samba - is it on in the case? meaning I don’t need to enable it - it would be enabled right out of the box. correct?
And If I already have a Windows NTFS drive I can’t use it - I need to format it with ext4 and then plug it inside the case - correct?
Case support up to 6TB drives.

So I will need to format the drive using a util under windows? can that be done ot I need to have a Linux machine running?

I probably buy a new drive - 2TB or 3TB.
Can you recommend a drive that I can buy from Ali Express? that would be a good drive for all Android Windows and Linux OS.

Thanks

Thanks.Regarding samba - is it on in the case? meaning I don’t need to enable it - it would be enabled right out of the box. correct?

yes

And If I already have a Windows NTFS drive I can’t use it - I need to format it with ext4 and then plug it inside the case - correct?

correct

Thanks.
As far as I can understand - i can use it to share media files and I will not be able to save binary files from Windows on it? Or it will allow the storing of the files even if it is an ext4 partition/

What would you recommend doing with it?
I was thinking - storing my Plex Media on it.

Would be happy to see the upgrade path you are taking with the chipset.

I use EXT2-FSD. It works on my Lattepanda for reading Raspberry Pi Micro SD cards. I imagine it would work with reading and writing network drives. Formatting can be done under Linux and Mac OSX High Serria. Worst case scenario you could burn a CD and use this program https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcmech.com/article/whats-the-easiest-partition-manager-on-the-ultimate-boot-cd/amp/ the ultimate boot disk. Other options include booting up a live flash drive and booting into Ubuntu(on your computer). You can then format that hard drive. And then shut down the computer. There are many programs to format something you just have to pick an option and use it.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows this store:
Blueendless
on Ali Express. Thanks

I have not heard of that store. A little bit of an off brand. You should be safe buying one of their products. There are reviews for several of their products and they seem overall positive.

Thanks.
I have made a purchase :slight_smile:

I just got the case and I have 3TB hard Drive ready for it.
I used parted to make a GPT drive of 2.7TB - checked it on RPi and it mounted OK.
But when I used it - I see that it shows 0B - and I am not sure how to create users?

I believe that it will not work only after it recognized the space on the DRIVE, correct?
It say that this case support up to 6TB - how did they do it?
Did they used something different to format the disk?
I want to be able to have the 3TB drive working in the case - how can i do that?
Please assist - thanks

I have this on My Pi
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 2.7 TiB, 3000592982016 bytes, 5860533168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 6735766C-FDB1-4755-97BB-542D4B4EF8CB

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 5860532223 5860530176 2.7T Linux filesystem

Model: WDC WD30 EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3.00TB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 0.00TB 3.00TB 3.00TB primary

Can anyone assist?? Am I doing something wrong? thanks

Hi All.
Problem solved…
BTW Don, it can be NTFS drive and I use it like that - Basically that is how I made it work after all.
There is a VERY SIMPLE way to format the disk and it is straight forward :slight_smile:
After installing the HDD in the case USE the USB cable to connect to a Windows PC. at the management creat and NTFS Drive. format and that is it. took me less then 3 min to get the drive to work and show the 3TB storage.

Since I was fixed on the EXT4 that what gave me a HARD time - But after I decided to go with NTFS - it works and I can use the BT as well.

I have a question…
How can I manage users???
Can I have more then the admin user?
I also managed to connect from my Android BUT I used the admin and the new password I gave it.

Any one was able to create another user?
Thanks.

interesting… i might have to try that later

I would love to know how…

tl;dr - I can’t access partitions on the silly thing using SMB.

I bought this thing to perform the simplest of tasks; I need a simple NAS that will show up on all the Windows machines on the internal network without using passwords; I’ll use the Tomato router to firewall connections outside the LAN. I figured this would be simple; change the IP to a static one within my LAN (192.168.123.0/24, the range used by my first wired router back in the late 1980’s), turn on file sharing (samba, I assumed), and poof - all computers on the LAN would immediately see the thing.

When it showed up the other day, however, I discovered it wants to be my main router (never gonna happen), and I should hook it up to the Chinese servers (really never gonna happen), but does not want to actually share the files on the drive…

I prepared a 2T hard drive using NTFS copying the files on a production drive, installed it to the BS-U35WF, fired it up, and…nothing is working the way I’d expect. If I use USB I can easily work with the hard drive. If I connect with an Ethernet cable, I get nuthin’. If I connect with WiFi (of course killing my connection to the Tomato router) I see (eventually) two shares with two additional “guest” shares. I can’t open ANY of them, since Windows tells me access is denied, either the username or password is incorrect. Yes, I tried all of the user names and passwords I could find; sticker on the bottom, listed in “manual” for settings page, “Admin,” “Administrator,” et al in combinations ad nausium. (When checking the drive details on the main settings page, it tells me the main partition is NTFS and the other tiny one, which I’m suspecting is actually free non-partitioned space, is ext4.)

I’ve screwed with the IPs, LAN/WAN settings, and every other setting I could think of, and have been making frequent use of the paper-clip reset button to start over; but after spending the better part of two days screwing with this thing, I’m no farther ahead. I’ve watched some YouTube videos, and my version of the firmware (1.7.0, and I can’t find any other downloadable stock firmware anywhere) doesn’t seem to have some of the binding settings seen in some of the videos. I found a total of one reference of a build of OpenWRT running on it, but am reluctant to go that route without stock firmware to flash in an emergency. I downloaded (and will be watching a little later) Don’s video and a few others I haven’t watched yet, but I’m wondering if anyone has any idea what I can do to get this silly thing to share the drive properly? I am relatively fearless thanks to the reset button, and so will cheerfully try anything. I can provide screen dumps and photos if requested. The drive is actually a backup of a production drive (it was supposed to replace the existing drive), so I can screw with that, too, costing me nothing more than having to re-copy the production drive.

Or did I spend $40 for a $10 USB case, which is thus far the only thing I’ve been able to use it for successfully?

Me too, Does anyone have a solution?

IF still having problems connecting.
Regarding the username and password - is admin and the password set on the web interface. If not changed use the kimax default password with user as admin.

To use the disk - I just used the USB 3 connection and partitioned it on windows 8.1 (that is what I have) and afterwards I connected it to the router and it shows ad a disk under the static IP I gave it. that is exactly what i said first time.

Hope it works.

Important - can’t use USB and Ethernet together - when using the Ethernet DISCONNECT the USB cable.

Thans! I have just solved The problem was HD formatted GPT. I converted it iin MBR and it works. Kimax doesn’t read GPT
Thanks