M3-7y30 Model LP - BluDread UPDATE (not clean install) Mojave to Catalina Complete Working Guide

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
EDIT TL;DR VERSION TO SAVE READING ENTIRE THREAD
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1. Use current installation of macOS Mojave to download the “Install macOS Catalina.app” from the App Store (the file will download into Finder -> Applications

2. Download Clover Configurator v5.9.3.0 from here: https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/

3. Move Clover Configurator from Finder -> Downloads to the Desktop

4. Download @BluDread CLOVER folder from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19V2WwqjxwjsLNSd5PLmFSNaI16avCf_q?usp=sharing (Make sure to select DOWNLOAD ALL option at top right) -> move the CLOVER folder from Finder -> Downloads to the Desktop

5. Run Clover Configurator (because this is an unknown Application you will need to Ctrl + Left Click the application then Ctrl + Left Click Open in the resulting menu

6. Select Install/Update Clover under the Tools section of Clover Configurator -> Click Check Now

7. Checkbox Save to Desktop (Note: Clover should autorun after downloading) -> Click Continue at the “This package will run a program …” prompt -> Enter your account password if required

8. Click Continue (at Introduction) -> Continue (at Read Me) -> ensure that MacPanda (or whatever you named your partition) is selected as the destination which it should be if no other USB or hard drive device is connected -> Continue

9. At installation Type click Customise and then ensure all following are checked (LEAVE ALL OTHERS UNCHECKED):

• Clover for UEFI booting only

• Install Clover in the ESP

• Under UEFI Drivers dropdown tick all following … Recommended Drivers (AudioDxe + DataHubDxe + FSInject + SMCHelper) + Human interface Devices (AptioInputFix + UsbKbDxe + UsbMouseDxe) + File System Drivers (ApfsDriverLoader + Fat + VBoxExt2 + VBoxExt4 + VBoxHfs + VBoxIso9600) + Memory fix drivers (AptioMemoryFix) + FileVault 2 UEFI Drivers (AppleImageCodec + AppleKeyAggregator + AppleKeyFeeder + AppleUITheme + FirmwareVolume + HashServiceFix) + Install RC scripts on target volume + Themes (whatever you want inside the dropdown really) + Install Clover Preference Pane

1. Click Install -> When completed close Clover installer (keep Clover Configurator open)

2. Under the Tools section in Clover Configurator select Mount EFI -> Select Mount Partition (should be EFI on APFS Container [MacPanda - Data,Preboot,Revovery,VM,MacPanda] or similar dependent on what you named your original install partition

3. Enter account password if required and then click Open Partition

4. Copy the existing config.plist file inside EFI -> CLOVER and paste to the same location then rename the file to config_old.plist

5. Open the @BluDread CLOVER folder you saved to the Desktop earlier and copy config.plist -> paste to the mounted EFI -> CLOVER folder (overwrite the existing file)

6. Navigate to the mounted EFI -> CLOVER -> kexts -> Other folder and delete all content

7. Copy entire content of @BluDread CLOVER -> kexts -> Other and paste to mounted EFI -> CLOVER -> kexts -> Other

8. Ensure that the following kexts do not exist in mounted EFI -> CLOVER -> kexts -> Other …they may not even be there though because I believe I may have copied BluDread’s kexts, pasted and overwritten the existing kexts rather than deleting the whole content and pasting as described above … in any case ensure that Display-58b3-3700.kext … AppleHDA.kext … FakeSMC.kext are deleted

9. Use the inbuilt macOS update to apply the Catalina update

10. Done

Notes: from memory, you will go through a single reboot where you will need to select “Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina” - I believe this selection was required only once but basically select that option until it no longer appears as an option

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

EDIT: The following thread/posts will assist others in getting Mojave (in my case Mojave 10.14.5) UPDATED (NOT Clean Installed) to macOS Catalina 10.15.3. I have asked MANY questions throughout this thread, mainly because when it comes to Hackintosh I am just a full on derp … that said, I left no stone unturned and am successfully running Catalina 10.15.3 on my LattePanda m3-7y30 model - obviously, @BluDread spent several hours with me on this and all credit goes to him for my success - if you have not yet UPDATED then this guide of sorts is pretty thorough and will most certainly get you there if you carefully follow along. Futuristically, I might go through the entire process again and record proceedings which I would link to here for anyone who might be interested - finally, I would wish you good luck … but with the following instructions you will not need it - cheers :wink:

FINAL NOTE: READ THE ENTIRE THREAD - FRESH USB/CLEAN INSTALL METHOD WAS NOT SUCCESSFUL IN MY ATTEMPT - EASIER TO MOVE ONTO UPDATE METHOD

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
START OF ORIGINAL JOURNEY TO CATALINA 10.15.3 UPDATED
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thought I would start my own thread as the macOS Catalina 10.15 thread IMO has become a massive mess Ie: macOS Catalina 10.15

The following statements on the other hand are in relation to the above mentioned thread.

///////////////////
@BluDread
///////////////////

On October 19 2019 you posted the following link to a CLOVER folder you made available to the community:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S-VOaszjX_3vyvBIohsWBRNNd30tiMKF?usp=sharing

On the same date, syaburu posted the following link to an EFI containing a CLOVER folder:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au5qefgayaP3shYlAFicqM4fjcnc

Then on December 19 2019, in your response to a question from @ender in relation to performing a clean macOS Catalina install you provided the syaburu EFI link.

/////////////////
Questions
/////////////////

1. Why are there massive differences between the original CLOVER folder you provided and the EFI zip, and that is to say that your CLOVER folder contains multiple extra files and folders - why?

2. Considering that you go on to recommend to @ender the EFI (containing a CLOVER folder) are these the best/recommended files to be using?

3. When creating a bootable macOS Catalina installer, if the files from the EFI are in fact the correct ones to be using, is the following perceived method correct for creating the USB and getting Catalina installed properly?

/////////////////////////////
Perceived Method
/////////////////////////////

1. Format USB to macOS extended (Journaled) & GUID
  2. Transfer the macOS Catalina.app (roughly 8GB) over to USB with required Terminal command (sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usbName/ --nointeraction
  3. Get CLOVER 5096 from here: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases and select the USB -> Customise to select Clover for UEFI booting only (leave all other options as default)
  4. Open the mounted EFI -> Open CLOVER folder and delete everything -> open CLOVER folder from @syaburu and copy entire contents -> paste entire contents over to mounted EFI’s CLOVER folder
  5. Eject all
  6. Install and then dd the CLOVER EFI onto the installation

Sound right?

By the way … I have a working Catalina 10.15.3 install running and am writing this post using it - everything does seem to be working correctly however I don’t think that the USB installer I created to get it going is quite right because after I have dd’ed the EFI over and ejected the USB, if I then mount the EFI using Clover Configurator there are strange things happening, for example:

• No EFI disk displays on the Desktop

• The .aml and .efi files appear in the Bin but when the EFI is unmounted (still without being able to see the EFI disk on Desktop) then the Bin is empty again

The above do not seem like typical behaviours to me - have you witnessed the same?

Please be aware that I am not taking a swing at you for the help you are providing to several people - it’s just that the macOS Catalina 10.15 thread has become very confusing and there are files flying around everywhere as the Baseline thread has also indicated.

If you could get back to me and answer the questions I have posed here it would be truly appreciated.

Cheers - GDD

1 Like

hello :slightly_smiling_face:, I have two LP alpha of the old model with m3 7Y30 processor and not with the newer processor that’s what makes the confusion. actually there should be a two threads LPA old model installation and LPA new model installation. I find it confusing too :frowning:

I also have the m3-7y30

To put what my MAIN question is more simply…

…did you delete all of the contents of a default CLOVER install on USB drive - > copy content of @syaburu EFI/CLOVER (<<<- copy all files inside there) - > paste files to CLOVER folder on USB???

Hope you can understand what I’m trying to say - is the above steps how you got a good working USB installer made?

Thanking you for the response

yes :slight_smile: my second LPA I installed that way. The first LPA I installed Mojave and updated it to Catalina :slight_smile:
the second one i did like you described except for dd the clover efi . I used the same usb stick to boot in to the installation and afterwards i used the latest clover installer to install clover to the drive i needed with the selected drivers i needed and with the hackintool and clover configurator i used for updating my configuration to it’s final state with latest clover and it’s kext plus the hardware injection i did in text mode with clover configurator .

Alrighty

So I’m going to start fresh again by doing this:

delete all of the contents of a default CLOVER install on USB drive - > copy content of @syaburu EFI/CLOVER (<<<- copy all files inside there) - > paste files to CLOVER folder on USB

or alternatively as you suggested:

install default CLOVER in USB then DELETE ENTIRE CLOVER folder - > dd entire @syaburu EFI/CLOVER to USB

Either way should produce same end result.

Because I have never used hackintool OR clover configurator to do any heavy modifications, after I get this install done I will more than likely need to seek your assistance (if you would be so kind) in relation to:

My other option might be to reinstall Mojave using a working backup I made when I was successfully running that (10.14.6 from memory) and then update - I couldn’t figure update Mojave to Catalina out so will try fresh Catalina install first and go from there with final configuration (hopefully with your help I can get there :pray:)

Cheers mate

aah ok i 'll try to help where i can i don’t mind :slightly_smiling_face:

Awesome!

Got my stick done just now and heading over to Windows to diskpart my M.2 - I’d rather wipe the drive clean prior to trying this again.

Might be a couple of hours or so before posting here again.

hope the stick works well .:slightly_smiling_face:

Nope - stick failed with prohibition logo.

For some reason I cant do a clean install of Mojave from my original USB either.

What I can do is use that original stick to point to the Time Machine backup I created on an external Western Digital HDD so I am currently in the process of loading that back to the M. 2 in the LP.

When that is completed (about 15 minutes hopefully as per current on screen indication) I will update as far as I can go and then get Install macOS Catalina.app downloaded.

From then on I’m gonna need your help to get this thing updated mate.

(starting to pull my hair out here!!!)

that’s unfortunately that it won’t work . :frowning:
I’ll do my best to help you . :slightly_smiling_face:

Bugger… I am going through the Time Machine install again ATM cause I forgot to dd the EFI from the USB (which hopefully the EFI on USB isn’t corrupted) over to the installation on the M.2 and therefore got no Clover boot options.

Screen telling me 15 minutes again.

I have noticed that my BIOS boot menu options keep reverting to EFI Shell as first priority all the time as well which is getting very annoying.

Anyways - I’ll let you know if the EFI dd works to give me the rquired boot options and if so will update Mojave and get back here again shortly for advice

Alright mate - I’m back up and running on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (not 10.14.6 as there’s no such thing! :slight_smile: )

16%20pm

I have the install macOS Catalina.app downloaded and ready to go. I have also just downloaded Clover Configurator v5.9.3.0

How should i proceed from here? Would you like me to upload my current CLOVER folder to assist you in assisting me?

Cheers

hi have you created a new install USB Stick ?
yes you can upload it if you want your current CLOVER folder.
or are we first going to try and upgrade this installation ?

No I have not tried creating a new install USB stick.

I would like to go through the process of doing the in place update from Mojave 10.14.5 to Catalina 10.15.3 which is what the downloaded install macOS Catalina.app will be.

So i have downloaded the following ready to go:

• Clover Configurator v5.9.3.0
  • Clover_v2.5k_r5096 (as is suggested in other thread)
  • Clover_v2.5k_r5104 (latest)
  • install macOS Catalina.app

Please let me know which of the above 2 clover v’s I should use as well.

Here is a link to my current CLOVER folder (let me know if you require the entire EFI instead):

[REMOVED LINK SO OTHERS DON’T TRY USING INCOMPLETE FILE STRUCTURE]

Cheers

you normally can use the latest clover .

I’ll upload my clover as well if you want because yours is old and uses different kext files than I do now also my config.plist is different .

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19V2WwqjxwjsLNSd5PLmFSNaI16avCf_q?usp=sharing

hope it makes it easier for you to see the differences :slightly_smiling_face:

I will take a look to compare now.

What should be the first step I take after that though to do IN PLACE UPDATE?

for in place update you can modify your clover config.plist and the kext files in the other kext folder after you updated your clover and than run the install Catalina.app

So update Clover first then.

Sorry … but I don’t exactly understand how to update Clover on a running installation though?

I feel like such a n00b with this - can you explain that step first please?

with clover configurator you can install/update clover :slightly_smiling_face:

Does the local EFI need to be mounted first? before going through the clover update using Clover Configurator I mean