Mounting SATA Drive to Raspberry Pi for a Cloud server

Hi,
I have just watched Don’s video on how to install onCloud on a Raspberry pi and I want to try it myself.
To connect the SATA HDD or SSD to the Pi I need a USB to SATA cable converter, correct? Do I need to get the one that comes with a power supply or Not?
Would the onCloud and the SATA connection to USB will work on RPi 2 as well? I have several sitting on the shelf and I was wondering to make them a cloud servers with a small hard drive.

I would be happy if you could recommend a cable that I will use for that project and also a disk capacity that I will be able to use with both my Pi’s 3B and 2B.

I want to try the DietPi OnCloud and make a server of my own - apart from the one I would like to do with the KiMax BS-U35WF case.

I am also wondering… can I use a USB to SATA cable and connect a drive to the RPI using it to format the disk that I will finally install into the KiMax Wifi?
Is there a big difference between OnCloud and NextCloud?
Please if any of you can recommend me getting:

• SATA Drive for RPI 3 and RPI2
  • USB to SATA Converter that will work on RPI for mounting the SATA drive.
    Over Ali Express that I will be able to get them from there - I am not located in the US so Amazon is not my way of buying Stuff on the net.
    One last reminder: Do I need the power supply for the USB to SATA cable or not?

Thanks.

if you are powering a 2.5 hdd then no you don’t need extra power. i use this for that project

while owncloud is an amazing piece of software which also allows for massive amount of plugins. running it on the raspberry pi is limited to transfer speeds… since the raspberry pi 3 only has 10/100 Mbps you are stuck at 12MB transfer and while the 3b+ has a 100/1000 Gbps… it also caps at 30MB transfer… that’s really the only downside to it…

Thanks Don.
Since i don’t have the Plus right now [[looking for it almost everyday with no luck - I mean looking to get it on shops that supply to my country - like from AliExpress.]] I can use the RPi3B and when II have the Plus I will take the SIM and put it inside the new one - and it should work, correct?
Thanks

would that be a good cable?
USB to SATA

That cable seems fine. If you are using a pi with a 2.5" HDD and not too many power hungry devices are connected you should be just fine. Make sure you have a 2.5a power supply for the Pi.

Thanks.
So I need to have the Original Power supply on all my Pi’s - If I use Pi 2 B - can I use a little PS?

What’s the mAh rating on the power supply? It should be written on the brick.

Thanks will do and check that.
BTW - I have found a UBS to SATA cable that I have had laying around in my lab, Once used for cloning HDD drives to SSD on all PC’s. After Project ended - I just put it in the drawer for future usage :slight_smile:
This is the cable that I have ordered 2 years ago from AE and used it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Speed-USB-2-0-to-SATA-7-15-22Pin-Converter-Adapter-with-External-Power-Cable/32729134200.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.CthloI

What I finally did was:
connecting BOTH USB from the cable to the lower USB Connections on my PI - since I am using RPi2B I have the WiFi in the USB as well… that leaves me with only ONE USB free.
And using both for power - I was able to connect a disk and work with it.
I will check if everything is OK I might not need to buy a new cable after all.
I have Already installed the NEXTCLOUD and works GREAT! that dietpi is great!

I have a question… Does anyone have an STL printable file for a RPI2 or RPI3 with a place to store HDD in it and maybe a place for a FAN bolts? :slight_smile:
Any file that can be modified I would be happy to get. I then will modify it and print it to make a suitable case for the NextCloud solution.
thanks

I’ve been using nextcloud with an RPi2 for a while now. I made many mistakes in trying to get it going and would recommend the following, if you want a simple install.

1. Install Raspbian on the HDD. That makes life easier as you don’t have to tell nextcloud that the data is elsewhere. I’m sure other OS’ work well but Raspbian is so easy to install.
  2. Using MySQL not MySQL Lite if you are saving more than a very few GB of data. I use 50+GB on nextcloud.
    I use a 2.5inch USB 3 drive but have a cable that includes a seperate power supply to power the drive.

Just re-reading your post, there is a case still available on Amazon
Media Pi
I used to use one with an RPi2 although I didn’t ever get the infra red remote to work.